Overview of this course and Learning Guide
Congratulations on signing up for this course and welcome!
It will provide you with information, tools and tips for making placemaking happen in a local government context. Learn at your own pace, when you want from your office, study or even the loungeroom!
It aims to help you to:
- Think like a placemaker
- See the opportunities for placemaking in a local government context
- Discover the ideas and insights from placemaking professionals with years of experience
- Build the confidence and skills to give it a go yourself
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Communicate the opportunities and benefits of a placemaking process
- Confidently lead a placemaking project
- Deliver amazing results, even with a small budget
We have specially tailored this course for local governments staff and Elected Members.
The curator of this course, Dean Cracknell, worked in local governments for 12 years, and has professionally consulted to local governments for 5 years. He has also engaged with local governments as a community volunteer for 10 years.
Other course contributors have decades of experience in working in and with local governments and include:
- David Engwicht - Creative Communities International
- Joanne Taylor - Formerly Place Leaders Asia Pacific and now WSP
- Brooke Williams - Fourfold Studio
- Gilbert Rochecouste - Village Well
- Mike Fisher - Christchurch NZ
- David Snyder - Formerly Town Team Movement and now at Town of Port Hedland
The Course Guide is available below. We hope you enjoy it!
Get your personal Certificate of Completion
People who complete this course will receive a personalised Certificate of Completion, endorsed by Town Team Movement and PlacemakingX, to recognise your knowledge.
Remember to press the “Complete and Continue” button in the top right-hand corner after you have finished each lesson and task, including the final “What’s Next?” section.
Once you press the “Complete and Continue” button in the final “What’s Next?” section, you will be issued with your own personalised Certificate of Completion.
Acknowledgement of the Placemaking Pioneers
Town Team Movement acknowledges the work, ideas and inspiration of the founders of the placemaking movement and the early pioneers. This course and our approach at Town Team Movement have been particularly influenced by:
- Jane Jacobs
- Project for Public Spaces
- William H. Whyte, Fred Kent and Ethan Kent
- David Engwicht at Creative Communities International
Thank you! We acknowledge other significant contributors in the Acknowledgements and Additional Reading section at the end of Module 1.